For a while there I was looking into conductive printing as a way to tie my interests into printmaking into this project, for example a screen-printed circuit printed with conductive ink. Although this is doable, I wasn't able to really come up with a reason to do it.
What I'm looking into now is less hardware based and more software based. What I think I'll have going on will be more based on what I did for Art Bash last year.

This time, instead of broadcasting the image, it will do more processing of the image in, what else -- Processing.

I'm thinking of something more along these lines. This is a time-based generated drawing based off of the computer watching The Empire Strikes Back. My new program will watch the webcam and perhaps have more of a process associated with it's generated drawing. I'm still working on what it means for all of this.
My idea is that this would be worn and record an entire day, generating drawings all day.
As far as concept, I've been taken back to the very foundations of the definition of art. My accepted definition of art is any activity that is not necessary for survival. And although in today's modern society, going to college and getting a job is necessary for a comfortable life, in its most basic terms, without society, these things are not necessary. Another point is the confusion the term "art" brings for the average person. For most people, art is strictly drawing or painting representational objects, where the artist's hand is evident and intentional. They do not understand or see the art in abstract or conceptual art. To them it's just "weird." So, my program, by generating "art" from what is already, by some definition, an "art activity" ( a college day ), it's in a sense creating a meta-art, self-referential and stuck in a loop of sorts.
No comments:
Post a Comment