Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Wearable Project: Progress #3

Okay, so I'm doing something completely different.

While we were talking earlier today about Simmel's idea of a "nervous" society, I started thinking about how we are constantly flooded with information, and are thus encouraged to contribute to this information overflow by putting all of our business out there--using various networking websites as our own form of paparazzi. We live in a world where privacy is almost non-existent, and our every move is recorded and published on sites like Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace. The profiles we compose are the uniforms we don in the internet, a suit that boldly reveals our personal details, but only in terms of what we want others to see (save for a few inebriated wall posts and renegade party pictures).

I propose to make a status suit, using LED lights and switches. Various poses will activate the switches, causing the LED lights to reveal whatever my "status" may be, as indicated by the position causing the reaction. For instance--a switch located in the lower back of the suit will trigger the LED lights arranged to say "sitting," and will be pressed every time the wearer sits and therefore applies pressure to that point.



I'm thinking of using something easy and ready-made for the suit material, as the sewing of the LED lights is going to take a LOT of time. I also figure that a hoodie is pretty workable, and is something generic that almost every college student owns, and therefore carries baggage as a sort of uniform in itself.

No comments: