So I finally experimented with the shoes and the magnets, and while one pair worked out okay I was not impressed with the overall effect. After the class crit, I expected as much, but I was really hung on magnets. Anyway I started thinking more about what was wearable technology that was not with the arduino. I still was interested in magnets too. I started thinking about wat things I might wear which are considered wearable technology and came up with my glasses, my ipod, my belt, jeans with zippers, shoes without laces, a shirt which clings to my form rather than just hangs loose. All those are more subtle technology (except the ipod) that you don't really think about. I'm really interested in doing something like that.
So I suddenly remembered the video we watched Monday about teen fashion and trends and all I could remember was midriffs midriffs midriffs. Just like that I thought of the snapping fashion of the magnets and how, by nature, they pull things together. Through all of this storming I formed the idea of a fashion response to the midriff trend by creating the anti-midriff, almost like a casual uniform. I want to create a shirt with magnets embedded in the tail (invisibly of course) and matching pants which have magnets int he waistline where you might expect a belt to be. The shirt would end up snapping to the pants automatically, eliminating any chance of a midriff, and possibly, low pants. The pants will, ideally, have a zipper on both sides so it's not a struggle to detach the pants from the shirt if you don't want to. Also (of course) the items must be hand washed.(You know, in case they get big)
I'm only doing the girl's form since, while this idea definitely applies to the baggy jeans fad, it's easier to hide the magnets with girly frill than it is to make a design for boys. I'm thinking maybe the shirt has just magnets and the pants have just metal? I'm still contemplating the combo, but I'm going to JoAnn's on Friday and having a sewing day all of Friday so this will hopefully all be done. Until then, I'm doing sketches of what I'd like it to look like. I'm also going tot hink about the type of material which is best because this is being hand sewn and me vs. magnets will be mighty tough on the material you know.
For me the content is the statement being made against the past 'trend', and actually, the current trend. I imagine this sort of thing implemented in middle and highschools as a way to make sure midriffs aren't shown, and it's like my hand is in the change of a nation-wide practice. I mean, realistically none of this will happen lol, but conceptually,t hat's what I invision. And if I make it trendy, it won't be torture or anything. I dunno...I see alot of things I question and ask "is that art?". I agree that would be a valid question for my piece. For me however, it is art. It fully expresses my stance on the trends of my generation and probably the current younger generations, and it provides a creative solution to what I feel is a problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment